T2202 FAQ

Tax Receipts: Frequently Asked Questions

Where and when can I get my official tuition tax receipt (T2202)?

Official Tuition Tax Receipts (T2202) will be available on your Robertson portal or via email (for micro-course students) at the end of February for qualifying programs and courses. If you are having difficulty obtaining your T2202, please contact [email protected]

Will I be issued a T2202 form?

T2202 forms are issued to students who have paid $100.00 or more in eligible fees for
post-secondary level courses/programs beginning and ending in a particular
calendar year.

Why does the amount on my T2202 not match the amount I paid?

The T2202 calculates the tuition and fees that you are eligible to receive within the taxation year, which can be different from what you have paid.

My parents have requested that I give them my T2202 to claim on their taxes. Can you send one to them?

Students must use the Tuition & Education Credit Certificate (T2202) on their own tax return until the Federal Tax payable is reduced to zero, after which the student may then transfer the balance of the credit to another eligible party using the reverse side of the T2202 form, as per the Income Tax Act. This requires the student’s signature.

I attended a T2202 eligible course which had a learning period span over two tax years (ie. December 2018-March 2019). How will that affect my T2202 form?

Fees are prorated over the learning period and the tuition amount and/or number of months will be divided appropriately on both T2202 forms for both tax years.

What is the difference between part-time months (Column B) and full-time months (Column C) on the T2202?

Canada Revenue Agency defines a full-time student as someone who is in an eligible class/program that lasts at least twelve consecutive weeks and requires a minimum of 20 hours of instruction or work in that class/program each week.

Canada Revenue Agency defines a part-time student as someone who is in an eligible class/program that lasts at least three consecutive weeks and requires a minimum of 12 hours of instruction in those classes per month. This only pertains to our micro-course students.

Where can I find more information?

Additional information regarding tax policies can be obtained at the Canada Revenue Agency website at www.cra-arc.gc.ca

A Tax Tips for Students brochure is available online through the CRA website.

Ready to Get Started?

Once you take the first step, one of our Student Admissions Advisors will get in touch to better understand your goals for the future.