We are seeking a Lead, Practicum and Career Services to guide and oversee the processes
and team dedicated to Robertson supporting Robertson Online students as they engage in their
journey at the College.
Robertson is the School of New Work. Our vision is for everyone to have a good life through a prosperous and fulfilling career. Robertson’s mission is to empower our students with the most relevant training and up-to-date industry insights to thrive in a modern work environment.
At Robertson Online, motivated students can advance their education at their own schedule. Students who study online have access to the same services as on-campus students receive, including full communication with Student Service Advisors and Employment Specialists. The Robertson team assists both during and after graduation to ensure students have the tools they need to succeed in a new career. At Robertson, we are guides for our students on their career path as they navigate their college and educational experiences during their time at Robertson.
Supporting the Director, Campus Operations, the Lead, Practicum and Career Services is a member of the Career Services Team, and responsible for the day-to-day leadership and guidance of the Practicum and Career Services team to ensure student success.
Practicum and Career Services Team
With the Campus Director, sets metrics and standards for the team; monitors the metrics and
- Ensures compliance with PVI regulations for practicum placement and employment
- Develops policies and procedures as required
- Participates in training of staff and hiring and performance assessment as is assigned by the Director
Practicum and Career Services
Ensures that best practices for vocational and online career services and understood and
maintained by the online team. In addition to working with students to obtain practicum and/or
career placements, the lead will:
- Identify and build relationships with a wide range of employers in public and private
sectors, recruitment agencies and job centres
- With the team, develop/revise practicum guidelines and forms for students and employers
- In conjunction with other campus teams, participate in the planning of the annual
Robertson Career fair
- In conjunction with other campus teams, attend external career fairs to advise about and
promote Robertson programs and Services
- With the team, develop resources Provides career advisement and resources to students and recent graduates, including assisting students in identifying strengths and barriers to employment; developing job readiness, job search and career management skills
- Advise the team, students, and Career Preparation instructors on resume preparation,
cover letters, job search strategies, and interview techniques
- Research sector and industry employment trends, on an on-going basis; advise program
areas and their students of job search strategies that speak to these trends.
Hours of Work
Robertson Online includes students from across Canada, in multiple time zones. The Lead,
Practicum and Career Services will be expected to support all students and faculties. This will require that the Lead has flexibility, exceptional time management abilities and will exercise discretion in choosing and working the schedule required to align with their accountabilities. The Lead will also need to ensure that the Teaching and Learning Team supports instructors who are in the various time zones and will need to schedule the team appropriately.
- Post-secondary education and direct work experience in Human Resources, training,
career services, career/employment advising, or a combination
- Minimum of 3 years of managerial experience
- Experience in administrative work, including usage of various technology tools
- In-depth knowledge of post-secondary systems preferred
- Ability to coach, develop, and motivate a high performing team
- Strong time management and organizational ability
- Proven change management skills
- Collaborative team player with a ‘can do’ approach
- Strong relationship builder
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrates sensitivity to the needs and issues of immigrants, newcomers and
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Strong verbal and written English skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Internet
- Excellent customer service, oral and written communication skills are required due to the emphasis on contact with students, faculty, administration, employers and the community at large;
- Ability to communicate and understand the needs of a diverse student
- Strong marketing ability in order to promote graduates and to recruit employers to
participate in activities/events;
- Ability to work independently, prioritize work and coordinate tasks in order to meet end
results in a fast-paced environment.