The Computer Support Technician diploma program at Robertson College is designed to provide the tech support skills needed to assist customers, clients or members of a firm or organization that depend on information technology. You will gain general knowledge of computer hardware, operating systems, software and network operation, and specific skills in troubleshooting, problem solving and customer service.
The Computer Support Technician diploma program in Edmonton offers you the opportunity to become a skilled member of the IT profession.
As part of the diploma program, you will learn how to effectively field phone and email requests from customers seeking guidance on technical problems, diagnose the problem and patiently walk the customer through the problem-solving process.
You will have the option to write a limited number of certification exams pending course outcomes.
- Learn the basic concepts of computer troubleshooting and repair, hardware components, operation concepts of computers
- Learn to install, configure and troubleshoot computer hardware components
- Learn to install common operating systems including Windows, Linux, and Mac and perform essential administration tasks
- Explore the Linux operation system from the perspective of a system power user and administrator
- Develop your knowledge in Windows Client Configuration including how to install, upgrade and migrate to Windows 10 and working within the Windows 10 operating system
- Gain an overview of security essentials on computers and networks and learn to troubleshoot and resolve any identified security issues
- Includes a course that prepares you to write the ITIL Foundation certification exam
Career opportunities exist for Computer Support Technicians in organizations of all sizes and industries as:
- User Support Technicians
- Technical Help Desk Agents
- Help Desk Analysts
- System Support Representatives
- Help Desk Technicians
- Computer Help Desk Representatives
- Installation Technicians
- PC Support Analysts
Topics of Study
A+ Certification - 100 hours
Provides students with foundations in PC hardware and software concepts for preparation to complete the CompTIA 220-901 and 220-902 certification exams.
Windows Client Configuration - 120 hours
Provides students with the knowledge necessary to understand the tasks involved in deploying Windows 7 and Windows 10 in a business environment. The course focuses on configuration tasks performed at the client’s computer, including those performed by a desktop administrator across all sizes of business.
ITIL Foundation - 100 hours
Introduces students to the fundamentals of the Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) and prepares them to write the ITIL Foundation certification exam.
Business Communication - 60 hours
Teaches students the essential skills for basic business writing, emphasizing the role technology plays in communication and the best practices for using technology in the workplace.
Career Preparation - 20-40 hours
Introduces students to strategies for a successful job search and interview.
Computer Support Technician Practicum
This program includes a compulsory 3-week full-time practicum where you will be able to apply firsthand the concepts and skills learned during the program
Let's Get Started
Fill out the form below and one of our Student Admissions Advisors will get in touch with you to guide you through enrolling for this program and answer any questions you have.