Health Unit Clerks or Ward Clerks coordinate the unit's communication, maintenance, and activities in order to meet the needs of the medical staff, patients, and their families. Career opportunities for Health Unit Clerks exist in long-term care facilities, medical offices, and hospitals.
Program Learning Outcomes
The Robertson College Health Unit Clerk program in Edmonton will prepare you to perform the clerical and administrative support required for a hospital unit or a health care facility. You will learn to:
- Effectively manage communications and be able to relay important information between patients and staff
- Arrange patient admissions and discharges
- Arrange patient tests and receive results
- Receive visitors and answer the telephone
- Transcribe and process doctor’s orders
- Assemble and maintain patient charts
- Maintain hospital equipment and drug inventory
- Type and distribute a variety of technical and non-technical reports and materials using computer systems and software that are relevant to the job
Graduates of the Health Unit Clerk program are qualified to work long-term care facilities, medical offices and hospitals across Alberta.
- Health Unit Clerk
- Unit Clerk
- Ward Clerk
- Record Maintenance Clerk
Health Unit Clerk Practicum
At the end of the theoretical training, you will participate in a 4-week full-time practicum where you will gain practical experience before transitioning to your new career.
Jessica Hoekstra, LPN
Jessica Hoekstra is a Licensed Practical Nurse with over 6 years of nursing experience in a variety of different healthcare settings. She has worked extensively in Pediatrics and Child and Family Psychiatry. She also has experience in General Surgery, Trauma, Long Term Care, and Rehabilitative Medicine. She uses her diverse skills to train her students in multi-tasking and flexibility. She also puts an emphasis on training her students on how to show empathy when working in the healthcare field, and the importance of embracing Patient and Family-Centered Care. Jessica has been a Health Care Instructor at Robertson College since Fall 2017.
Let's Get Started
Fill out the form below and one of our Student Admissions Advisors will get in touch with you to guide you through enrolling for this program and answer any questions you have.