Legal Assistants play an essential role in law firms and legal departments. From legal transcription to managing legal office procedures, their challenging work is vital to the successful operation of any law office or legal department. To be successful in the role, Legal Assistants must have administrative and communication skills as well as the ability to prepare legal transcriptions, legal documents, maintain documents and client files.
Robertson College’s Legal Assistant program is designed to give you a basic understanding of office procedures and to equip you with the skills required to work as a Legal Assistant.
- Gain an understanding of the basic components of Criminal Law, Family Law, Wills & Estates, Real Estate and Immigration Law
- Learn to perform legal transcription which involves an understanding of legal terminology
- Gain an understanding of common office procedures as well as procedures specific to a legal office setting
- Learn how to use a keyboard properly and improve your typing accuracy
- Develop your computer skills and learn to use Microsoft Windows applications including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Legal Assistant
- Legal Secretary
- Legal Receptionist
- Administrative Assistant
- Executive Assistant
Graduates will find employment in legal firms, legal departments within corporations, real estate agencies, insurance companies, government departments and municipal, provincial and federal courts.
Legal Assistant Program Practicum
Valuable workplace experience is gained during the compulsory 4-week full-time practicum.
Patricia Bennett is an experienced Legal Assistant with close to 30 years of experience in the legal field. She has spent the majority of that time in general practice law firms but has worked in various areas of law too throughout the years. Patricia also holds a certificate in Famly Law Mediation. In the classroom, Patricia is passionate about sharing her wealth of knowledge with her students. The legal field continually evolves and Patricia keeps up to date on new legislation, laws, policies, and procedures so that her students are well-prepared for the workforce. As an instructor at Robertson College, Patricia enjoys watching her students grow and develop throughout their educational journey and after, as employed Legal Assistants.
Let's Get Started
Fill out the form below and one of our Student Admissions Advisors will get in touch with you to guide you through enrolling for this program and answer any questions you have.